Tuesday 25 September 2007

Simple techniques to create an effect







Well, it's been a touch chaotic here in the Bee Home what with new kitchen and new project. That brings me neatly to this new post. I've been gathering a collection of fashion patterns together, from the host of vintage crochet and knit books I've collected over the years, for a possible book plan. It's still early days but it led me to think about adapting knit patterns to crochet. As we all know, the two skills differ in many ways and, certainly, there are certain techniques that only knit knows how!!! However, crochet has a few tricks up it's very trendy sleeve and it doesn't need to go snivelling to big sister knit all the time.

Creating rib patterning is just one of those occasions. Obviously, knitted rib is unique but if you do want to work an area in crochet there are several ways to achieve a 'rib' affect. I have in my pile of books a rather funky 'how to' book called From Needles to Hook (The Needlecraft Shop) with many examples of 'how to adapt' pieces.

Some of the examples are outrageous and I wouldn't suggest taking everything to heart. Anyhoo, there are some ways of achieving rib I thought I'd pass on.

First, Back Loop double crochet. Measure the height of the rib section you wish to crochet and chain the number equivalent to this plus one. Dc into 2nd ch from hook and dc to end; ch 1, turn. Dc into the back loop of each dc to end. Continue in this manner on each row until piece is the desired width or length of your project. You'll achieve a sort of 'train track' effect.

Another method is to use front and back post trebles across the width of the piece to achieve a raised rib. Basket weave is another texture which combines back loop and post stitches. Check it out.

No comments: