Friday 31 October 2008

Etsy yarns





















Well, today's post is easy. Yarns, and lots of them. Etsy is a wonderful source of produce from designer's around the world. It's a treasure chest of beautiful and eclectic things and hand-spun and hand-dyed yarns are one of the items I love to browse through. I know you can do your own browsing but sometimes it's nice to have your attention drawn somewhere you haven't looked before.
Just type in 'handspun yarn' and away you go. After a little sorting out, you'll be spoiled for choice. Surprisingly, alot of the sellers also crochet. Hmm, the two must go together.
I thought I'd feature some of my personal favourites but go there yourself and dip in.
The first I've chosen is from the UK called Alchemy Fibre Arts and is based in the north of England where alot of the inspiration comes. I love many
of the heathery, heathy tones of the yarns and particularly this yarn called...Heath!!! I'm a great fan of fine yarns and this is the one for me. I'm going to include a little of it's description to whet your appetite. 'I have spun this 2 ply yarn from a mixture of fibres to give stunning subtle tones & textures. The fibres used are a base of British fine wool and merino blended with alpaca angora,mohair,kid mohair, wensleydale wool and a touch of linen.'
Pigeonroof studios has a small but perfect little collection. My personal favourite is this russet yarn. They also sell rovings, the base for all spinning, and I think the piece at the top of the post is particularly luscious.





Guttersnipe is my next port of call and what great names for yarns. Makes each one so personal and even more colourful. I've chosen Your Father's Tartan and I'll leave you to create your own impressions from that!!

To finish, let's go to Snowberry and Lime which has a unique selection including this gorgeous vegan yarn with pearls woven in. Divine.
There is no excuse now that the nights are drawing in and winter is a long, long time to wait till summer.
It's going to be a busy time to.

No comments: